Sunday, August 07, 2005

assert yourself

it's not easy being a manager of a business unit.

people in here, character wise, tend to define assertiveness to being agressive. it's like i have to walk between a fine line of those two terms.

i always like to be flexible and balanced out. but, flexibility may be seen as weakness and undecisiveness. on the other hand, balancing the power is not always easy.

the most challanging part in my job is to translate the tasks from the higher command to my peers. here, i have to be really careful not to voice out my personal opinion to the tasks given which sometimes could be as impossible as finding a dodo bird.

one thing i learnt from my experience working abroad -- without my co-workers, i am nothing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Newton said...

Yes, I've found that if you are a manager, you walk a fine line. It is not possible to be a "nice" guy and be a good manager.

August 08, 2005 10:32 PM  
Blogger dewi said...

I really like when a manager say, "Help me..to help you" so we both need each other, but couldn't easily find these days. Today's manager say, "here's the target, if you accomplished u'll get raised, if not i'll dump u," (or in any similar words, but the message still the same)

August 10, 2005 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home